Graphic design in numbers
By Sarah-Jayne Shine
Strategic graphic design is the essence of visual communication.
Business cards, billboards, brochures, websites, brands – every facet of business incorporates some form of graphic design. Creating, memorable and successful graphic design is a crucial skill for advertisers, designers, and business owners.
The industry and careers
The field of graphic design has evolved but shows no sign of slowing down. Businesses compete to get the very best graphic designers for marketing, advertising, and web designing. After all, visual impression matters. Here are some telling stats that show the demand for the graphic design industry and graphic designers.
- The global market size of graphic design services was projected to grow to $249.5 billion by 2022 from the $153 billion it touched in 2018.
- The global graphic designers' industry market size, with its current evaluation at $43.4 billion saw a boom of 3.7% in 2022.
- As of 2021, the global market for graphic design had shot up to $45.8 billion.
More than 60% of graphic designers worldwide are women.
90% of graphic designers are freelance.
- The highest earners in the graphic design industry are User Experience (UX) Directors.
- Approximately 65% of graphic designers have a bachelor's degree
Content marketing stats
- 50% of companies increased their graphic design budget from 2021.
- 19% of businesses don’t use graphic design, but 67% of those companies would if there were a quicker, less expensive way to create graphic design materials.
- Almost 40% of companies face a challenge in consistently creating aesthetically engaging content.
- 37% of companies would like to automate the process of creating consistently visually appealing content.
- As far as visual graphics is concerned, infographics and videos topped the charts.
Example of an infographic
Consumer behaviour stats
OK, we get it - graphic design significantly impacts marketing, web design, and branding. How does this, in turn, play a part in affecting and influencing consumers and their choices?
- If you have visual graphics, 85% of people are attracted to your brands.
- 93% of people agree that an object's visual dimensions influence their purchasing decisions.
- 94% of people believe their first impression of a company is design related.Color and design play a role in consumer interest, as 50% of internet users have cited website design as influencing their brand opinions.
- 46% of people decide the credibility of a business or company based on its website designs.
- Full-color ads had 40% more viewership than plain ads.
Right, those are the stats which leaves us with the inevitable question - where to from here?
Well, we’ve said it before and we’ll say it again….What you see is what you get….
The global graphic designers industry is ranked #9 among all business activities.
68% of digital marketers use visual assets in content creation.
People remember 65% of visual information 3 days later, versus 10% of written content
80% of digital marketers use graphic design in social media marketing
Today's enterprises require strategic design to stand out from the competition in a world where looks are crucial. The key to standing out from the crowd is your investment in graphic design.
Have a great month. See you in May.
*IBIS World / Piktochart / PR Newswire / Zippia.
**All $ quoted are in US$